Aside from the important historic monuments in Litomysl, those interested in architecture can also find interesting and high-quality examples of architecture from the 20th century. The development of the city following the establishment of Czechoslovakia brought with it the development of new city suburbs (especially the Masaryk quarter). After the Second World War most of the new buildings had the negative features of architecture of the period - they had a lack of invention, and were often highly insensitive to their historic surroundings (housing estate behind Komensky Square, Hotel Dalibor, I/35 road). Further buildings of quality were mainly added during the 1990's.
Architecture before the Second World War
Modern architecture began to change the face of the city during the second half of the 19th century, when office buildings were built (post office (1858), district court on today's Ropkova Street (1865-67), and the hospital (1872-74)). At the beginning of the 20th century the most important building was probably Smetanuv dum, and the neighbouring school for girls (D. Hnidek, builder J. Kreml, 1906), which replaced the old mill and tower. The opening of the Lidovy dum/community hall was also an important event for the city.
Over the course of the next few years, building work was carried out especially in the new Masaryk Quarter. The dominant feature in the quarter was the new grammar school (Prof. Ausobsky, builder F. Rudolf, 1922-23), which was gradually surrounded by other buildings (district office). The industrial school was built in modern style (J. Tymich, builder F. Ètrnacty, 1929). New buildings also appeared in other parts of the city (Sokol hall in the Fügner Quarter, 1925), the number of which grew rapidly due to the construction of new detached villas.
Architecture of the 1990's
During the final decade of the 20th century several examples of high-quality modern architecture appeared. A tender process is carried out when drawing up projects for new buildings, involving the best architects in the country.
New primary schools have been built (III. ZS according to the plans of the Brno Burian-Krivinka architect's office), and the School of Restoration and Red Tower have been restored (M. Hulec). The number of sporting facilities has grown with the addition of the city sports hall by the III. ZS (Burian-Krivinka) and the tennis and squash hall (P. Hrusa, P. Pelèak); the sports arena in Libanky has not yet been completed.
New housing is of course being built - a new residential quarter near the hospital has been constructed, as has a new apartment block (M. Rudis, V. Rudis; a new block is being built to the plans of J. Pleskot).
Alterations to the heart of the city are taking place in a modern, yet sensitive to the historic nature of the surroundings, spirit - replacement of the paving stones on Smetanovo namìsti and Toulcovo namìsti and the surrounding streets, the "equestrian steps" by the church (all Burian-Krivinka) or the new alleyway under the castle (Z. Vydrova). The most imposing building work of this type has been the work on the monastery gardens.
The city is constantly growing thanks to the systematic construction of family homes and thanks to investment in industrial areas (extension of the Vertex works). In the near future there will be a number of other large and small building investment programmes. Whether the quality and robustness of the new buildings can stand face to face with the monuments built over the course of the thousand-year history of Litomysl, only time will tell.